Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Changes of the Storm



Last night, a storm rolled over and smashed itself over my town. What started as random outbursts of rain and wind last night soon gave way to a steady flood of drops this morning. It was peaceful to lie in bed and hear the thunder rumble high above my head. Eyes glue to the ceiling, I reveled in feeling small under the never ending sky. With the covers pulled up to my chin, it was like a breath of childhood without the fear; only pure, content nostalgia with nature. All other thoughts were washed away, leaving me feeling clean and simple.

The rain continued to add peaceful chorus to church this morning. Even though the roughness of the storm was enough to prevent us from going to church in person early this morning, the family gathered around the computer and watched the wonderful service online, Bibles open and breakfast in our mouths.

And what a sermon it was.

I took a good, hard look at myself after the Word has been preached, and I'm still examining myself as I type this. Even this far into my life, raised in my amazing faith, there is room for me to grow. Not that I thought I was perfect and had nothing left to learn, I just didn't quite realize what I needed to work on until I was told this morning. It's funny how some sermons seem to be aimed right at you and the things that burden your heart right then. God sure knows how to say the right thing to your heart at the time you need to hear it most.

So I made a list.  A list of things and traits I must find and rid myself of daily, and a list of things and traits that I must find and keep with me all day, every day, to help me walk closer with God and allow me to live a life as close to His ideals as possible. I want to grow in my faith, and there are just some things I have to do to nourish that. Things I will remind myself of every day. Things I will work on every day, every hour, every minute, every second, every blink of my eyes and beat of my heart. Through God, I will accomplish this.

I feel refreshed now. All other thoughts have been washed away by God's Word, and I have been left feeling clean and simple.

What a way to start a day, huh?

Smile today and rest up. God gave you breath in your lungs and sunshine in your eyes. Even if today ends up not being a good day, your are alive, and that is enough to make it a good day. =)

Wishing you all a refreshing, cleansing, clean, and simple Sunday. ♥

4 comments:

  1. O, I love rain, everything about it -- the sound, the smell, even the feelings of serenity or awe it inspires. Yes, God is always transforming us bit by bit, from glory to glory :)

    "Not that I have now attained [this ideal], or have already been made perfect, but I press on to lay hold of (grasp) and make my own, that for which Christ Jesus (the Messiah) has laid hold of me and made me His own.

    "I do not consider, brethren, that I have captured and made it my own [yet]; but one thing I do [it is my one aspiration]: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the [supreme and heavenly] prize to which God in Christ Jesus is calling us upward".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. Nothing like constantly being renewed. Thank you for your kind words. ^o^

      Delete
  2. A very introspective post my friend. I really enjoyed reading this. Have a great Monday :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, dear friend. =D Hope you're having a lovely Monday as well~!

      Delete