Thursday, April 9, 2015

To-Read List, Updated

THE LIST://

The Red Queen -- Philippa Gregory
The Boleyn Inheritance -- Philippa Gregory
The Queen's Fool -- Philippa Gregory
The Virgin's Lover -- Philippa Gregory
World Without End -- Ken Folleett
The Norton Anthology of: (complete sets)
English Literature
World Literature
American Literature
The Mists of Avalon -- Marion Zimmer Bradley
Her Fearful Symmetry -- Audrey Niffenegger
The Time Traveller's Wife -- Audrey Niffenegger
Pirate Latitudes -- Micheal Crichton
Selected poems of Seamus Heaney
A-Z Aromatherapy -- Patricia Davis
On Writing -- Stephen King
The Book of Virtues -- William J. Bennett
Game of Thrones -- George R.R. Martin
The True History of Tea -- Victor H. Mair and Erling Hoh
The Bedford Anthology of World Literature
The Doctor's Wife -- Elizabeth Brundage
The Essential Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
Wives and Daughters -- Elizabeth Gaskell
The Faerie Queene -- Edmund Sepnser
Robert Browning's Poems
Sherlock Holmes -- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Shogun -- James Clavell
Les Miserables -- Victor Hugo
Dragon Rider -- Cornelia Funke
Jesus, CEO -- Laurie Beth Jones
Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World -- Joanna Weaver

THE POST://

I finished The Red Queen last night, and what an end it was. Of course, knowing history, I knew the outcome of the novel would have to be in favor of the Tudors, but the fangirl inside me was screaming at the top of her lungs in support of the Yorks and all the lovely little romances there. Ah, alas, such cannot be, but it was entertaining nonetheless.

The character of Margaret Beaufort was quite interesting and written ever so well. From her naive beginnings of wishing to be dedicated to a nunnery when she was just a girl, to her power-hungry ending as mother of the king of England, one cannot help but pity her. All throughout her girlhood, she was told that girls were useless creatures in a man's world, and as a result she dreamed of being as saintly as Joan of Arc. However, her life, dictated by her harsh mother, changed this faithful little girl into a harshly staunch woman who felt her only reason for existing in the world was to restore power to the then-ousted Lancaster family through her first and only son, Henry Tudor. Even when her choices were quite unreligous and unkind, I could not help but admire her faithfulness to her cause. I pitied her and the bitter woman she had become by the end of the book.

Overall, a wonderful read, especially right after reading the York side of this story through the eyes of Elizabeth Woodville (whom I also admired ever so greatly during my few months reading the book she was prominent in). Overall, a wonderful series to spend several months enveloped in, and I not only came out of this with a great amount of enjoyment and historical satisfaction, but also more knowledge of the War of Roses itself! This, my friends, is why I adore historical fiction.

Now, my literary rant is over. I have posted several days in a row here, I know, and with quite a bit of information, but I have felt inspired to do so! It must be the weather, which thankfully combats the gloomy mass of homework that I must quickly chew through in these remaining months of classes.

How a wonderful Thursday, friends! Go forth and read! ♥

(P.S. I have added my two newest books to the list. Hurrah!)

No comments:

Post a Comment