Friday, September 20, 2013

When I Am Weak...


How often do we talk about our weaknesses?

If you're like me, I don't like to let those who I don't know very well know my weaknesses. In some cases, even those I do know very well I don't share my weaknesses with. I am ashamed of the things I can't do, the things that I really need help with. I feel like I am less of a person because of those things. People see me like I should be able to do those things, and when I fail, I feel not only like I have disappointed them, but that they are secretly judging me by what I can't do.

In 2 Corinthians 12:9-10, I read something that Paul wrote that makes me feel different about my weaknesses:
"But God said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, For Christ's sake, I delight in my weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Isn't that uplifting? The things we need the most help with are the things we should delight in, because those are the things in which we seek God. We need His help with those things, and only He can help us. We are brought closer to him because we CAN'T do it, because if we tried to do it ourselves we would fail and hurt ourselves. In my Bible it explains the verse further, and I love how they put it: "When we are strong in abilities or resources, we are tempted to do God's work on our own, and that can lead to pride. When we are weak, allowing God to fill us with his power, then we are stronger than we could ever be on our own.God does not intend for us to seek to be weak, passive, or ineffective -- life provides enough hindrances and setbacks without us creating them. When those obstacles come, we must depend on God. Only his power will make us effective for him and will help us do work that has lasting value."

I will try my hardest to not worry about things I can't do, or things I don't know. Those "holes" in my abilities will be filled with God's power so that I may work more effectively for him. Those things that stop me from doing God's work (I'm not smart enough, I can't do this, I can't speak to crowds, I can't lift things, I can't teach) are the things he will help me with if I trust him to help me.

Talk about a courage-booster!

Have a wonderful Friday, my friends! ♥

4 comments:

  1. Wise and encouraging words. I like to think of our inability to do certain things not as holes or weaknesses, but rather I look at the things we CAN do. It's a whole different perspective. I love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't how I missed this beautiful post. God has been speaking to me a lot about that lately, the fact that His grace is sufficient for me, and His power is made perfect in my weakness. This verse too has been meaning a lot to me: "Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words". In those weaker moments, I am so thankful for a patient, sympathetic Father who is literally holding me up and carrying me through. Focus on your unique strengths dear friend -- they are many :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your beautiful, encouraging words this morning! =D

      Delete