Sunday, March 18, 2012

Speaking of the Missing Spring






As the sunlight streams through the windows of my sister's room, striking the glass jar containing my ice tea (though the ice had long since dissolved), I note with some amount of sadness that winter has fused directly into summer without so much as a hint of spring being able to squeeze between the seams. The dainty pink blossoms of the peach tree outside the window of my new room have all but vanished, and the bubble reddish blossoms of the cherry trees beyond are fizzling away slowly. The pear trees, some distance to the left of the yard from my window, sport nothing but vivid green summer leaves now; their blossoms had opened in late February and are now dearly departed, but there is one lone, scraggly pear tree just now releasing his dainty (albeit, smelly) blooms. Most of the petals have vanished from the ground, fairy footprints invisible in the real world. All nothing but a memory.
Between college classes and homework, I have had to organize my free time so that I can spend time with my family. It is because of this that I have hardly noticed the sudden change of seasons. While this was certainly disappointing in many respects, it did allow me to pursue one of my favorite hobbies as I'd spend time with my family. While sitting beside my brother as he plays video games or sitting in my sister's room in the evenings before I go to bed, I crochet. My creations range from 'granny squares' to ties for my bedroom's curtains to washcloths and coasters, recently. I even plan on selling some.





It's on days like these that I would love to leave my bedroom window open just to invite the cool breeze inside. But with the breeze comes pollen, and with pollen comes my sister's sniffling. And I can't torture her like that, even if I don't seem to have an issue with the floating yellow fluffies...yet. I'm sure my sniffles will start sometime soon in the future. Until then, I'm still going to open my window in the morning and evening when it's not hot out. 

Why? Because I like to.

No comments:

Post a Comment